The AMRS

 

Home

The Jim Thorpe Station

A photo of downtown Jim Thorpe as it appears on our layout. The black area behind the passenger train is the location for our latest project. The construction of a scale model of the Mauch Chunk, Jim Thorpe, train station as it looked in the 1930s-1940s when  passenger trains were bringing visitors and vacationers from Philadelphia and New York City.

We have had the downtown area of Jim Thorpe complete for quite a while. However one of the main buildings, as far as our railroad is concerned, has never been built. For whatever reason we have never built the station. We've had a couple of false starts but not much beyond that. The main problem has been the the need for a scratch built building and the time available from one of the few members we have who could take on the task and complete it.

Recently our Walt Eckard has been able to find the time to start the project. Walt has dug up several original drawings, taken a lot of photos, and has begun construction. He has also agreed to take some photos of his progress so we can follow it and watch as he works his way through this labor of love.

Walt has finished the project and the result is beautiful. The station is mounted and it has made a great addition to our pike. Many thanks to Walt for all the hard work.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End wall minus details.  Still to be added: roof support
castings, White sills under windows (as shown on center window), and a
beading strip over the brick arches.
Casting in place on wall. After the casting is removed from the
mold, all casting flash is removed and the casting is painted. Here I am
placing the casting in place on the trackside wall.

Working on the tower wall.  There are 17 windows on this
part.  The first floor windows were the most tedious of all.  The round
window pane was made by using my power punch that has 8 dies for punching
round holes.  The dies are get larger by 1/32nd of an inch.  I used a die
to punch out the outside circle, then used the next smaller die to punch
out the inside part.
 
Photo of tower next to model. Here I am comparing the model of
the unfinished tower wall with a photo.
Gluing window frame in place. A very, very tedious and
frustrating job trying to get the very tiny pieces in place.
Pattern, mold, and casting.  The top assembly is the roof  supports made from basswood, painted and glued to the bottom of the mold box.  I needed to make 6 castings of the larger piece and 12 of the smaller piece.  The lower frame is the mold after it was poured and removed from the pattern.  A white casting on the left is ready to be taken from the mold.
View of the street side wall.  I am fitting the corner base upon which the bottom of the roof support will rest."
 
Unfinished tower in position.  I'm trying out the fit on the base
of the model. Though a long way from being complete we can begin to see what the finished model will look like.
I'm checking the brick sheeting on the tower wall
to be sure that there will be a smooth transition to the trackside wall.
Here's my son-in-law and I gluing the walls together and to the base.
 
Here the roof of the tower is complete with the
shingles and top finial. Note: The shingles on the white area of the wall
cannot be completed until the main roof is shingled as the lower rows will
butt up against it.
The platform posts were too small to turn on my lathe. So, after a little experimenting, I found that I could do a satisfactory
job by inserting them in the chuck of my rotary Dremel tool. I checked to see that there was very little wobble before
 beginning the turning.
 
I made this gluing jig to hold the A-frame and posts in place while the glue set up. The white plastic corner pieces are
to raise and center the brackets to the posts and A-frame.
 
Walt has completed the last of the sections and assembled them into the finished station. Its a beauty. We're all anxious to
 get it to the club and mounted on its part of our layout. We think its really going to add a lot to this section of our pike.